Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Death of a Motorcyclist

Those of you who know where I live know how notorious this road can be for people speeding, but for those who don't, I am lucky enough to live in a very pretty village, but one of the drawbacks is that the bikers love it too.. it is a great area to ride around..

Not that I am saying that in itself is a bad thing, but it is a 40 MPH road yet no motorcyclist ever seems to go below 80, they can go round the first corner then it is about 1/2 mile straight past my row of cottages and they bomb it down here.

Today has been a beautiful warm spring day, I almost had the hood down, but wasn't actually driving far so didnt bother! Around 2.30pm I was driving back from the post office, ebay run, turned the aforementioned corner and was met with a scary sight. A biker had misjudged his line (I guessed) and there was a lot of debris across the road.. cue 10 minutes later the air was filled with sirens, the area was cordened off by police and the air ambulance arrived. It didnt leave in a hurry, and I overheard one of the policemen remarking, as he made his way back to the car, that as that was now the 4th fatality in under a year, maybe the council would lower the speed limit.

It is tragic, I hate the way the bikers speed down my road yes, but even worse than that I hate to see the piles of tribute flowers a few days later. It breaks my heart, I just wish they would take more care, but i guess that even with lowering the limits, that will never happen. Who buys a bike to drive about at 30MPH? Sadly, no one.

No comments: