Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ah the joys of hospitals! On Thursday I had my pre op appointment to discuss all the ins and outs (pardon the pun!) of my c section. So, 15 minutes before my scheduled appointment time, Teya and I made our way to the hospital, her announcing that it looked like 'Scrubs' inside, and over to the waiting room at the ante natal clinic, to sit and patiently wait to be seen along with numerous other couples/women/ families from all over the county.

One thing that I continue to find fascinating is the sheer variety of carachters that one sees when in such a place as an NHS hospital. People watching, I am sure everyone agrees, is a thoroughly fascinating passtime - and happily for me, I got to spend quite sometime doing it due to the fact that my appointment was so delayed.

As Teya and I sat we were joined in the waiting room by a variety of sights, from all walks of life - to my left were a veringontheelderley hippie couple, she who kept grumbling that they were having to wait, and him who just looked bemused at the whole experience. To my right an Umbro shorts and matching tracksuit top and trainers combo chap and his Thai bride, him looking frankly pretty ugly but rather pleased with himself, and her rather resembling a rabbit in headlights, who almost looked as though she couldnt quite grasp what was going on. Across from me were the stereotypical chav family, brash noisy large goldearring wearing grandmother grappling 3 snotty nosed kids whose ages varied from around 1 -4 while the mother heaved her none so small frame around the room looking bored and uncomfortable, but totally oblivious to her children's behaviour.

Over in the far corner of the room were a couple who were clearly on their first child, probably at around the 20 week mark looking at her little bump, who sat very quietly, husband with hand on pretty wife's knee, looking around them in horror at (well in particular the 3 I have just mentioned) kids racing around the room - almost in disbelief that this might be something they had signed themselves up for! Lastly over in the other corner sat a very large and very young girl, having a very loud and not so intelligent arguement with her camo clad boyfriend , who proceeded to get up and leave halfway through her verbal attack.

I was eventually seen after about an hour, firstly having my weight and other vitals taken by the midwife, baby boy was checked and my urine sample screened (much to Teya's disgust!) Next it was on to see the anaethatist (sp?) to discuss the implications of the spinal, and the details of the operation itself, all of which I will spare you here you will be happy to hear. I was also given pre op meds to be taken the night before the section, and the very sweet chap advised me not to drink any thing past 10pm that night - no problem say I - and then felt the ground open up before me as my daughter announces that 'well Mummy drinks wine in bed!' to which both the anaethatist (who couldnt have been a day over 25) and I blushed a deep shade of purple whilst I tried to protest that actually at 9 months pregnant I don't.. but out of the mouth's of babes hey?! She seemed pretty pleased with herself, and I left 30 minutes later after having more blood extracted and generally feeling more terrified than I have done to date.. No matter what, this boy is coming out feet first on Tuesday 21st April!! As we left the building Teya looked up at me and announced that she didn't want to have a baby taken out of her tummy - ever - so she would NOT be getting married, end of story.. Awww - I shall have great pleasure recounting that story in years to come...

No comments: