Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lunch @ Marcus Wareing

Last Friday, after a previous postponement, I was lucky enough to spend the day with my lovely friend Saf at the wonderful Berkeley Hotel as guests of Marcus Wareing.  What an amazing day we had.  After a somewhat shaky start (me vomiting, dropping Teya off late at school, blocking myself out of my bank card for forgetting the pin...) we arrived in to London at 11.45am and made our way black cab stylee to Knightsbridge.  The first thing you notice about The Berkeley is its understated elegance, as we drew up the old town house looked immaculate and the doormen were a delight.  Once inside however the glamour just exudes, not too overdone but such an impact - the foyer was dressed in the most beautiful amaryllis and everything was stunning. 


We started with a glass of fizz and a 'berry berry' for Saf before heading in to the incredible dining room and taking our place at the best table in the restaurant!  It was so beautiful, relaxed yet polished and my perfect mix of contempory and art deco style.  We were presented with the extraordinary wine list (Petrus for £21,000 anyone?!) and superb menus and very swiftly made our choices.  Lunch menu can be found here.  Our waiting staff and the Somelier were all lovely, so much fun and perfectly attentive without being intrusive in the slightest.  I swear that we didn't stop laughing all day, we were treated like princesses, and were the last ones to leave at 5.30pm. 

So, the food, well everything was absolute perfection and we were treated to two separate courses that the rest of the dining room weren't given, it really was A list treatment.  We also struck up a wonderful rapport with the gorgeously fun and amazingly hospitable restaurant manager, Darren McHugh, and we were honoured to be invited for a kitchen tour half way through our meal - such a treat, it was immaculate, as you would expect, and so organised!  The staff were all so kind and accommodating and didn't seem fazed by our insistent questions and giggling!  No one even flinched at the 'impressive rack' comments.  Children!  We were also blown away at the lengths that everyone went to to ensure that Saf's veggioe dishes were every bit as impressive as the meat and seafood ones, no mean feat but they pulled it off spectacularly.

 Saf and I in the kitchens


FOOD TIME!!

Amuse bouche - Truffle and celeriac soup with apple foam




 












Pre starter - herb & truffle pappadelle


Starter - Pumpkin ravioli with seafood bisque
(reisling, just seen)








Post starter - celeriac apple and truffle creme

 
Main - Oxtail - this was spectacular!



Saf's Main, stuffed Gnocci with broccoil, a truly amazing veggie dish, so much care and attention to detail here;


 
Pudding - I didn't actually enjoy pudding but only because I don't really like sweets and to be honest I had eaten so much that I couldn't fit anything more in.  Plus it was bananary and I cannot abide banana, stupid (slightly tipsy!) choice.

Aside from the Veuve Cliquot and the Moet that I had I also was given a Riesling, that was OK and then the most incredible Shiraz that I have ever tasted.  I had 3 glasses of it!  Me with the wine list >>>

 I can honestly say that we had the most wonderful time and even met Tim Mitchell, a lovely guy whom I have been following on twitter, he works there and is a friend of the lovely Jamie Flemming who looked after us so impeccably at Le Manoir last year.  I take my hats off to everyone in hospitality, they really work so very hard, and ensure that every minute detail is perfection.  It really is a privilege to go to these places and yes, it isn't cheap if you drink as much good wine and champagne as I do, but the lunch menu starts at £30 a head, amazing value for money.  It is a complete experience and I cannot wait to go back!

I almost forgot to say that we were also presented with Marcus' cookbook at the end of our day, a huge treat, and fab parting gift to accompany our petits fours.

Lastly what I wore,

Walker biker jacket - All saints
LBD - H&M
Black opaques - Wolford
Leopard print pumps - Primark
Oversized tan shopper - Zara
 

2 comments:

S;) said...

Wow, wow and thrice wow - what an amazing day you lucky mare! xx

Kate said...

Oh Sof you would love it! Am very lucky, it was even better than I can articulate.. Get Mr C on the case for a reservation the next time a treat occasion presents xx