Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chicken, fennel and tomato ragout

Hurrah!  January is such a miserable month, I am glad it is almost over.  The snow was fun for the weekend we could enjoy it but come Monday it just became a pain, put lots of disruptions in to work calendars and everywhere just looked filthy.  Also my grass is shot to bits, I cannot wait for spring.  But, we need to get through February first.  So, I have started looking at SS purchases to cheer myself up, even though there isn't much about just yet (although you cant buy a pair of boots in M&S FFS!  What is that all about?) so I will be back with a lust list very soon.

In the meantime I have been sourcing more winter warming dishes for the small people and I and I stumbled upon this delightful recipe from Good Food - to be honest if the fennel that I bought had been properly tasty fennel (as in Italian fennel) then I think it would have been too overpowering for Z & T but as it was it was very mild (Sainsburys, pah!) and they loved it!  It was also ridiculously quick and easy, I served with basmati rice.

Chicken, Fennel and Tomato Ragout

1 large fennel bulb
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken , cut into chunks
  • 1 garlic clove , chopped
  • 200g new potatoes , cut into chunks (I omitted and therefore reduced cooking time to around 12 mins)                                           
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 150ml chicken or vegetable stock                                                                                              
  • 3 roasted red peppers in brine, from a jar or deli counter, chopped ( I actually used my frozen pre chopped fresh peppers instead)

  • Method
    1. Trim the green tops off the fennel and reserve. Halve, then quarter the fennel, cut out the core, then cut lengthways into slices. Heat the oil in a pan, add the chicken, then fry quickly until lightly coloured. Add the fennel and garlic, then stir briefly until the fennel is glistening.
    2. Tip in the potatoes, tomatoes, stock and a little seasoning, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 mins until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the peppers and heat through. Roughly chop the reserved fennel fronds, then sprinkle over the ragout. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the juices.

    No comments: